Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Epic Weekend

Last weekend was epic for our family. We spent Thursday night at my parents' house with the Bass family, Miranda, and Sara. (My parents and brothers were actually on a vacation to Southern Utah, so we had the house to ourselves!) Friday morning, we headed to Utah's Hogle Zoo! It was pretty crowded because it was UEA weekend, but we still had a lot of fun. It was Lia's first time, and she loved it. She especially loved the seals, giraffes, and elephants. The only disappointment was the polar bear in the new Rocky Shores exhibit wasn't out when we went by, so we only saw him eating fish on the rocks and not in the water. It was still fun though, and it was even more fun being there with my sisters, Tim, and Zachie. I love getting to spend time with Basses.

We came home Saturday morning and decided to find some more fun things to do. First we went to a fun Cache Valley tradition, the Pumpkin Walk. I thought Lia would really like seeing all the pumpkin display scenes, but by that time I guess she was just to tired to really enjoy it. She didn't whine or complain, but she didn't get very enthused either. She did like the cookie at the end though.

After the Pumpkin Walk was naps and lunch. Dustin and I decided to try something new with our girls--a movie in an actual theater. The latest Disney/Pixar movie "Brave" was showing in the cheap theater here in town, so we took Lia and Eleanor to see it. I was pretty apprehensive, not knowing if they would behave, but they were great! Lia watched the whole movie, even pointing out things and telling us about them. At one point she started getting a little bored and asked to get out of her seat, but I just gave her some Skittles and she was happy again! Near the end of the movie, there's a scene where bears are fighting and it gets a little intense. I thought Lia might be scared because she was pressed back in her seat all wide-eyed, but Dustin sat her on his lap and she didn't cry or act scared or anything. No bad dreams later either, so I guess it wasn't too scary after all. Eleanor was also a champ. She started fussing about halfway through, so I stood up with her in the back of the theater and rocked her till she fell asleep. She slept till the last five minutes of the movie. It was really fun, and we'll probably keep going to movies together now that we know Lia is big enough to handle it and even enjoy it.

 Tonight we're going to try pumpkin carving. It's been a fun weekend. I love doing fun things with my little darling family!

No comments: