Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Interesting Night

Yesterday was Dustin's 25th birthday. Happy Birthday Honey!  Love that guy.

We went on a little dinner date in the evening. It was nice to spend some time together without the kids. We didn't get to bed till about 11:30, but we were pretty tired as soon as we finally laid down.
After we'd been in bed for about 5 mins, we realized there were a lot of noises coming from our upstairs neighbors. It sounded like kids yelling, people running around and jumping, cupboards banging, and the shower being turned on and off. We were sure they would settle down soon because it was so late, but after 30 mins there was no signs of the racket stopping. Finally after almost an hour, well after midnight, I threw on some decent pajamas and anxiously ascended the staircase to ask them to tone it down a bit. I was nervous because although they have lived above us since early this year, we haven't ever actually met the family that lives there. I was cursing myself for not being more friendly because now their first impression of me was going to be me complaining that they were too loud.

I had to knock twice before a bunch of kids opened the door. I saw an older lady laying on the couch, so I sort of talked over the heads of the kids to address her. I said I was sorry, but it was really late and there was a lot of noise coming from this apartment, and we lived downstairs and were trying to sleep, and could they please keep things a little quieter. None of the adults in the room got up or came over so I felt really awkward just talking into the room, but finally the lady on the couch said something like, yes, sorry, okay, and I left. Thankfully, the noise significantly decreased and Dustin and I laid down again, hoping for sleep.

After maybe 20 mins, I started hearing knocking. I assumed it was coming from the upstairs apartment and ignored it, but it continued and got louder until I realized someone was knocking on our front door. I confusedly climbed out of bed and back into pajamas and answered the door. It was our upstairs neighbor. He hadn't been there when I came up the first time but heard about what had happened and felt the need to come down and apologize and explain. Which is fine, but I sort of wish he had waited until morning.......

Our neighbor explained that he had a lot of family visiting from Texas. They were there to go to a funeral and he told them they could come to his apartment to shower and eat and whatever before leaving again. He apologized many times, and I tried to assure him that we weren't upset, we just thought they probably didn't realized how loud they were being and how well we could hear them.
I was glad that the incident ended well and that our neighbors were understanding.

Again I tried to go to bed, but the neighbor's knocking had woken up Eleanor and she was hungry. I fed her and once again trudged to my bed. Less than hour later, Eleanor was up again crying because her blanket had come unwrapped. I wrapped her back up, rocked her for a minute, and luckily she fell asleep again. For the fifth time that night, I climbed into bed hoping for some sleep. Finally, I was able to fall asleep and Eleanor decided to be an angel, and slept for four straight hours before waking me up to eat at 5.

Usually Lia sleeps through Eleanor's crying, but for some reason this time she woke right up and started talking to me as I was feeding the baby. I finally convinced her to lay down, but about 20 mins after I went back to bed she was up again crying to get out of bed. I had to go back into the room and lay her down again and tell her that it was definitely NOT time to get up. Thankfully she went back to sleep after that, and I was able to sleep three more hours till about 9 this morning.
Needless to say, Dustin and I woke up pretty tired this morning. I'm still amazed that so much happened on one night. Hopefully tonight goes much more smoothly!

No comments: