Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sleeping (Or Not)

I am still having issues with Eleanor's sleeping schedule. We started sleep training her like we did with Lia at the same age, and it's just not going as well as I had hoped.  Sleep training Lia was a breeze and to this day she loves naptime and bedtime. In fact just today she woke up crying after less than an hour of her nap, but she was still yawning and rubbing her eyes.  So I asked if she wanted to lay back down and sleep some more, and she said "Yeah." And went back to bed. Angel! Eleanor is so different.

A few days ago she slept 4 hours at night, so I thought she was doing better and better, but last night we put her in her crib in the girl's room for the first time, and she woke every two hours exactly, all night long. At least Lia didn't wake up. I think her main problem is that she wakes frequently and doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep without nursing. I don't know what to do about that. It is so hard to think and function at 4 am with only 2 hours of sleep. And I can't just let her cry because I don't want to have 2 babies awake.

I always assumed that since it was so easy for us to sleep train Lia and get her to love bedtime and naptime, it was just us being good parents.  Now I'm realizing that maybe Lia is just naturally a good sleeper and everything's going to be different with Eleanor. Maybe she wont ever be a good sleeper. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Maryann! Love your blog. I know this post is old but I was just catching up and read it today. I know you probably don't have a whole lot of free time with two cute little girlies on your hands, but there's a book called "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" that's really awesome. She has all kinds of tips and tricks for getting babies to sleep through the night and for teaching them how to get themselves back to sleep. It's been a lifesaver for me since we moved to China because we had to switch Will's nights and days completely around and we had a really rough week trying to re-teach him when to sleep. Sleep deprivation is no fun! Good luck my dear!