****SO, I started this post last week sometime BUT my computer freaked out after I finished and only about half of it got saved. I DID NOT want to re-type all the stuff I had written. Nothing makes me madder than getting stuff I wrote deleted. Grrrr..... Anyway, I'm posting this unfinished post because I feel like I can't post anything new until I'm "caught up." Long story short, here is most of my adventures in Vegas so I can start posting more recent stuff.****
On December 29 we decided to take a day trip to Vegas, since it is only 4 hours from Circleville and I had never really been there. I've driven through a few times, but never seen the strip or any of the shows. So we left Circleville around noon, and got to Vegas just before the sun started going down. Which was a good thing, because we had a hard time parking. We ended up in the Main Street Free Parking, which turned out to be kind of a bad thing. More about that later. We only went in one casino (thank goodness!) to get our parking reimbursement and take a bathroom break. We started out here:
at that place that has the ceiling that lights up all cool. However, we were there an hour too early. The only thing we saw was this schedule, saying which shows would be playing each hour. Oh well, we thought, we can always catch a show on our way back, because we were only parked a couple blocks away.
We weren't really sure where to go from here, to get to the strip. So we asked someone for directions. They told us, "It's a couple blocks, that way." We started walking.
Before long it became aparent that we were going the wrong direction. As we stood on a corner discussing the dilemma, an old man who had been eavesdropping piped up with "You're trying to find the strip?" He laughed at us. We needed to go back to the ceiling light place and walk a couple blocks the other direction, and then catch a bus to the strip. We thanked him, and laughed to ourselves as we headed back the way we came. We were here to walk the strip. Not catch the bus at $3 a person! So we started walking.
And kept walking.
And kept walking.
Walking.
Walking.
Walking.
We started passing a lot of these:
which were quite entertaining, but not on the strip.
Then we passed this sign, which I have always assumed is in the very heart of the Las Vegas Strip.
Not so.
This was still in the distance:
which Dustin said was on the strip so we realized we still had a ways to go. Well we eventually reached the Stratosphere, which is actually not on the Strip, it is a little ways away from it. It was $15 a person just to go up the elevator to the top, so we ate at the McDonalds inside the building and left disappointed.
And kept walking.
We were getting really tired and had very sore feet and backs by the time we finally got here:
I was SURE we were finally on the strip now, cuz I've heard of this place!
But we weren't. Quite.
More walking. Me complaining. Asking Dustin every second, "Are we there yet?" Trying not to look down at the dirty calling cards that were becoming more and more prevalent on the sidewalk beneath my feet. Laughing at some of the people we passed. Coughing as I walked through clouds of smoke. Making Dustin promise he wouldn't let me be carried off by strange men.
And then, there it was! Lighting up the night sky and bustling with people. Loud and bawdy and overwhelming. Exciting and a little frightening. We stopped to take some pictures at some mall thing.
These are the people who went with us: L-R Kami Dustin's cousin, Appols who is married to his brother Josh, then his sister Teaira, and his mom Shawny.
The Strip was pretty cool, I have to admit. It was like being in an entirely different world. I have heard of Las Vegas called "Sin City," but until you're actually there you don't realize how true that is. Still, there are cool things to see.
***NOTE: Once we got back, Dustin and I mapquested (is that a verb?) Las Vegas and figured out we had walked just under five miles that night. No wonder our feet hurt!***

No comments:
Post a Comment