Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Family!

I don't understand why some people decide they'd rather go it alone than have the help and support of their family.  I know there are some families that are just destructive, but there are also people who turn their backs on loving and caring families out of pride or anger or selfishness.....or other reasons.  I don't understand these people.  I wouldn't survive without my family!  They are such a blessing to me, and I was reminded of that this week.

On Tuesday our apartment building had to be sprayed for cockroaches--gross.  In order for the exterminators to spray effectively, all the tenants were supposed to empty every single drawer and cupboard in the house and move everything to the middle of the room and cover it with tarps or plastic bags so they could spray the baseboards and nooks and crannies without spraying our possessions.  It was pretty much like moving all over again, packing everything up in boxes and big heavy-duty garbage bags.  Since Dustin works all day, the task pretty much fell to me, and I felt weary just thinking about it.  Monday night Dustin and I packed up the food and put all the stuff in our little storage closet in my car--since there wasn't anywhere else to put it.  And then Tuesday morning, ALL of my sisters and my mom came to help me out!  This was pretty incredible since Allison lives in Vegas but has been up in Kaysville visiting my parents for her birthday this week.  She was nice enough to spend part of her vacation helping me pack up my house.  With the 5 of us working throughout the morning, we got the whole apartment ready for the sprayers to come at 1:30.  Then Miranda let us crash at her apartment for a little while since we weren't allowed to go back into the apartment for 2 hours. 
Then my mom asked if I wanted them to stay and help me put everything back.  I told them we could probably handle it, since they needed to get on the road back to Kaysville to pick up my dad's car from the shop.  They stayed anyway and got my whole kitchen and living room put back together perfectly before they had to go, and it only took us about 15 minutes! I can't even describe how big of a blessing their help was.  I was completely exhausted after they left, and I can't imagine how I ever would have accomplished everything on my own. 

Last night I was saved by family again.  My dad's sister and brother and their families happened to be visiting Utah at the same time this week, and so my dad aranged a get-together at his house in Kaysville for last night.  This really was a big deal, because his sister lives in Texas and his brother lives in Washington and I haven't seen some of them in years.  I desperately wanted to go down and see everyone, especially since some of them have never met Dustin, but Dustin and I have been super tight on money this month and there was just no way we could afford the gas.  So my dear sister Miranda offered to let us drive down and back with her for free!  I was so grateful.  I had a wonderful time seeing my aunts and uncles and cousins again. 

And while we were at my parents house there was another blessing waiting for me.  I had talked a little to one of my aunts about how I am starting to outgrow my clothes, and how worried we were about affording maternity clothes.  She showed up at my parents house with an entire box of maternity clothes from her daughter's pregnancy, and let me have them for free.  How did I get blessed with such an amazing family? 

And is't not just my family either.  Just a few weeks ago Dustin's grandpa was able to fix the exhaust system on the Mustang, saving us about $500 on repairs.  Dustin's mom bought us a washer and dryer a few months ago, and his grandparents always pay for our gas on our trips down to Circleville if we can't afford it. 

I really don't know what I would do without my family.  I love them so much and they are all such a blessing in my life.    

2 comments:

Meagan and Ryan said...

you do have a wonderful family! I totally understand what you have said and there is absolutely no way Ryan and I would make it without our families.

Bass Family said...

We love you so much Mary and Dust! im glad we are all in the same family.