Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Gift From the Jehovah's Witnesses

I have been on the computer this morning, just surfing around on blogs and facebook like I usually do in the mornings after Dustin leaves, before I get ready for the day.  Just a few minutes ago, the doorbell rang and a pair of nicely dressed ladies stood on my doorsteps, asking if I could spare a moment to hear a scriptural thought from the Bible.  My first inclination was no, since these were obviously missionaries from another Christian religion and I didn't want to waste their time, since I am quite happy in my own religion.  Then I thought, Why not?  I can always use a little scriptural uplifting.  I read the Bible.  Don't I wish others would give the time of day to our own missionaries? 

So I told them I had just a moment (for all my charitable thoughts I still didn't want to be discussing doctrine with them in my house for an hour).  She promised to keep her message brief and opened her Bible to Psalms.  I don't remember the scripture, it was about having peace in the Spirit or something.  It was a nice message.  She gave me a little book called, "What Does The Bible Really Teach?"  She was very kind and had good things to say about the LDS church and members in the area.  I found myself really appreciating her efforts.  In a world of crumbling values and chaos, wouldn't it be a nice change if more people tried to spread peace and joy in a kind, respectful way? 

As she talked to me, I was racking my brains trying to think of a way I could share my appreciation without seeming interested in joining her church.  The only thing I could think of was to give her a Pass-Along Card, which luckily I have a few of in my church bag by the door.  I thought she probably already had plenty (or at least I hoped my neighbors were remembering to use them), and sure enough she refused when I asked if I could leave her with a gift in return.  She said she couldn't accept it (for some complicated reason involving her already having one, her group being from California, and some other reasons she didn't explain very clearly in her haste).  Oh well.  I tried, right?

But as the ladies left, after congratulating me on my pregnancy and wishing me a good day, I wondered if there wasn't something more I could have done. 

Then it hit me. 

What if, this morning, instead of reading blogs and commenting on facebook, I had been studying the scriptures?  I bet she wouldn't have refused if I had offered to share a scripture I particularly love in return for her sharing one with me.  What a wonderful way to share my testimony, and I blew it.

Lately I have been really lax in my personal scripture study.  Dustin and I have been faithfully reading scriptures together since our first night as a married couple.  We pray together and say personal prayers.  But somehow, personal scripture reading has fallen to the side, for both of us, except sometimes on Sunday mornings before church.  I have been praying for help remembering to read.  I have been feeling so strongly lately that I need to be more diligent in my personal scripture study, and yet I just can't seem to get back into the habit. Maybe I just needed a wake up call.  Maybe today was it.

Maybe the missionary ladies (I found out after they left that they were Jehovah's Witnesses, by looking at the back of the book they gave me) were an answer to a prayer.  This could be the push I need to start reading the scriptures before I get on the computer in the mornings.  I will probably never again have the chance to share a scripture and my beliefs with JW missionaries.  What an opportunity wasted!  What an eye-opening experience.  We never know when we will be called upon to witness for our Savior.  Will we be ready?

I wasn't ready today.  And it kind of hurts.  But I think the Lord is telling me, Okay, you sort of blew this one.  But there will be other chances.  Now, what are you going to do

2 comments:

Mary Ludwig said...

I love this thought. Way to take a probably somewhat awkward situation and see the good in it. I totally know how easy it is to forget personal scripture study. I'm stuck in the same place. It's easy just to think 'we're doing so great with scripture study and prayer' and you forget how you are doing personally. I wish I could say it gets even harder with a baby- but the truth is I think it's probably is easy to read your scriptures if you make it a priority. This has been a good reminder for me. I think I may go read a chapter or two before I go to bed. I totally haven't today. Thanks.

Maryann Goodspeed Penman said...

Mary--I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets!