Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Monday, September 7, 2009

First Blog--and the Fire Department


Well, I finally caved. I decided to start blogging. It is sort of an experiment for me. See, I've always been really really really bad at keeping a journal or diary of any sort. Last week sometime I finally figured out one reason I have always been so bad at it. I love writing--but ONLY if I know someone is going to read what I've written. I don't see the point of writing private things for only myself. And the thought of my posterity someday reading my journal entries doesn't really do it for me either. I wonder if it's because I have been an english major for so long. I don't know. But whatever the reason, I decided that I would try "journaling" online. Maybe if someone is reading, I'll keep writing.


Well, now for something interesting! Today Dustin and I were cleaning out our desk in an attempt to organize our important papers. We found a LOT of papers that needed shredding, but as we don't have a shredder, we decided to burn the papers in our mini charcoal grill--which is basically just a medium-sized metal pot with a grill plate thing to set on top. Anyway, we went out to the little gravel parking lot behind our house and started burning our papers. We had just finished when two cops came walking over and asked us what we were doing. Apparently some neighbor had seen our little smoke column and called the fire department, telling them there was a raging inferno coming from our backyard (the cop's words, not mine). The cops were a bit amused upon discovering our "inferno" was nothing more than a little pot full of burned-up old bank statements. We didn't get in trouble, but we were informed that it is illegal to have fire pits or anything like them in the city limits. And then the fire department showed up too, and we had to explain ourselves all over again. I thought it was pretty amusing. Dustin was a little nervous, but we didn't get fined or anything. The cops did have some words of wisdom for us, though:
"Next time guys, go up in the canyon. Or buy a paper shredder!"

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yay Maryann!! That's hilarious. Why would someone call a little "BBQ" of sorts an inferno? Must be nervous about all the fires going on at the moment.

kimber said...

wow, i didn't know fire pits were illegal here. That's pretty funny though, i've often wondered what to do with mine

Anonymous said...

wow! that made me laugh SOO hard!! ... I'm still laughing! hahaha. of course tons of people will be reading your blog cuz you are such cutie pants people!!
mir