Life really is good. This blog is a journal of sorts--thanks for reading!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Mmmm, Soup!

Soup  is supposed to be one of the easiest meals to make, right?  Throw some veggies and a little chicken or beef in some boiling water and voila, soup.

Well, for some reason I have always been afraid of soup.  I always had this idea in my head that if I attempted soup I would get soggy nasty veggies swimming in bland tasteless water.  Yuck.  Also, Dustin and I got married just months after he got off his mission, and in the part of Mexico where he served, they eat soup like five times a week. So he was a little turned off by soup.

I the almost two years we have been married I have made soup twice.  Once was my mom's recipe for hamburger soup, which turned out good because I followed her recipe and used beef boullion, which to me is the soup saver ingredient. 

Last night I did it again, only this time I invented a soup!  And guess what--it turned out really good! 

How it happened was, I had rice and sweet potatoes and chicken to work with, and I couldn't think of anything to make with them.  My amazing sister Miranda suggested soup, so we did it!  And guess what--it's healthy and delicious! 

Here is my recipe, in case you want to try it!  Oh, and I didn't really measure anything, sorry.  Just wing it.

Orange and Green Soup
Peeled and cubed sweet potato
Chopped baby carrots (we chopped them pretty thin so they'd cook faster)
Chopped up cooked broccoli (I used leftovers from last night's dinner, you could probably use raw?  I don't know, I'm no broccoli genius)
A cup or so of cooked brown rice
Two chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 tsp or 2 cubes chicken boullion

So, I cooked the chicken and the rice (turns out brown rice takes twice as long to cook as white rice).  Chopped up the chicken and the veggies.  Threw it all in a big pot and covered it with water.  I added the boullion when it was boiling.  Boiled it till the carrots and potatoes were soft.  Delicious! 

I served mine with crescent rolls, but I think it would be good with any kind of rolls.  We liked it. And it was much easier to make and didn't take as long as I thought it would.

What do you know--soup isn't so bad after all! 
 

1 comment:

kimber said...

yay for soup! it's the only thing I make upsxdCzfv(edgar says hi)