...you get a $4 haircut.
Dustin and I have both been needing haircuts all summer. But we have been putting it off because, well, haircuts are expensive when you're on a tight budget. It's not so much a problem for Dustin because he gets his done at the beauty college. You know, the kind of place where 18-year olds who want to be beauticians practice on you and then their work gets checked by a "professional." There's only so much damage you can do to a haircut when it's a men's haircut...."2 on the sides, 3 on top please."
I, however, have never gotten my hair cut at the beauty college. I have always been afraid of coming out with a hair massacre. It is much easier to butcher long hair with layers and bangs and such than a men's cut that will grow out in three weeks. But this time I really needed one and it was cheap....so I went with Dustin to be practiced on.
I should have known better.
Dustin's hair turned out much shorter than usual, but actually I think it looks really nice. I like it. He doesn't like it so much, but again, it will grow out in a month or so and no one will know the difference.
I was pretty confident as the blonde teen girl asked me about what I wanted. I told her the same thing I usually tell my hair stylists. Keep most of the length, put in some layers so it's not so thick and heavy, etc. I am not really very adventurous. I had a short cut once and didn't like it much, so I usually just do medium long with layers. Blah.
The girl was pretty talkative and seemed to know what she was doing, for the most part. I wasn't thrilled with the result, but it didn't look horrible. The "professional" came to check the cut, made a few adjustments, asked if I liked the cut, signed the girl's paper, and left.
We went home and I looked in the mirror again. This time, the damage looked much worse. It just looked like a really badly done haircut. The layers were choppy, the bottom layer was too long, and there seemed to be a chunk missing from the back. I put it in a ponytail because we were going to the fair with Kim and Robert and Miranda, but I was feeling more and more depressed about it as the evening went.
The rest of the evening was awful. A case of full-blown pregnancy hormones mixed with a haircut that was looking worse by the minute turned into hysterical tears for most of the rest of the night. Dustin didn't know what to do and I couldn't stop crying. Luckily I felt much better the next morning, but the haircut was obviously unchanged. Finally we decided that if I really felt like I needed to, I could go get it fixed at a real salon. We knew it would cost around $30, but I was coming to really hate the thought of going back to work in a week with a sloppy joe haircut. So I called a few salons to get a price range and then picked the cheapest one that I thought looked good enough to actually fix the problem.
I am happy to say that the stylist I picked did a wonderful job fixing my poor hair. She didn't even have to take off much length to do it, so it still fits into a ponytail except for the front pieces. She really did an amazing job and I was so grateful. Even better, she only charged me $20 when I was expecting to have to pay $25 plus a tip. Since it worked out in the end, I'm not mad about the girl who hacked my hair in the first place. If I was made of money, I would go to the beauty college every time to let the girls practice, then get it fixed by a real stylist. But since I am not made of money, I think I will be sticking to Katie at Beyond Hair Salon from now on.
I Do Now
6 days ago

3 comments:
oh! Saddest story ever! I have thought about going to a beauty college before- but all optimism I may have held on to before just sputtered out and died. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed. I'll send blessings to Katie in my prayers tonight! Lol. Love ya!
I am glad I am not the only one who cries uncontrollably when pregnant. When I was pregnant with Eva I spilled a bowl of salsa on our carpet and I started bawling uncontrollably. Ryan had no idea what to do either. He was very sweet and cleaned it up for me and got me more.
Well at least you had a reason! The other night i just burst into tears for no reason at all! It was strange. I hope never to do that again.
Post a Comment